Serving Those Who Served
How Does Your County Veterans Service Office Work For You?
Our Veterans Service Representatives (VSR's) are thoroughly trained and accredited by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to represent you. Contra Costa County VSR's are not employees of the federal government, they are county employees ready to assist you with any Veterans claim. They will assist you in securing the maximum benefits. Your representative will work closely with service officers from a Veterans organization of your choice, such as:
- American Legion
- California Department of Veterans Affairs
- Disabled American Veterans
- Military Order of the Purple Heart
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
...and many other organizations that maintain staff at federal Veterans Affairs Regional Offices.
We can assist you with information and applications for:
- Compensation for service related disabilities.
- Pension for war-time Veterans with non-service connected disabilities.
- Education benefits and vocational rehabilitation.
- Medical treatment at VA Medical Centers
- Home loan benefits
- Government Life Insurance.
- Burial Benefits.
- Pension for non-service related deaths.
- Proceeds of government life insurance.
- Military Survivor Benefits Plan (SBP).
- Medical benefits.
- California College Tuition Fee Waiver Program.
We can provide information and referral for:
- Agent Orange programs.
- Alcoholism and drug treatment programs.
- State of California Veterans benefits.
- Veterans home loans.
- Hospital care.
- Outpatient medical and dental care.
- Small Business Administration programs.
- Employment and job search resources.
For dependents of deceased or disabled veterans.
Some of the available Benefits.
Helpful Internet links
This pamphlet describes the variety of federal benefits available to veterans and their dependents as of Jan. 1, 2014. Changes may occur during the year as a result of legislative or other requirements. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) World Wide Web pages are updated throughout the year to present the most current information. The VA Home page contains links to sections on compensation and pension benefits, health care benefits, burial and memorial benefits, home loan guarantees and other information.