Airport Land Use Commission (ALUC)
Purpose and Authority
The purpose of an Airport Land Use Commission (ALUC) is to conduct airport land use compatibility planning. ALUCs protect public health, safety, and welfare by ensuring the orderly expansion of airports and the adoption of land use measures that minimize the public’s exposure to excessive noise and safety hazards within areas around public airports to the extent that these areas are not already devoted to incompatible uses. The statutes governing ALUCs are set forth in Division 9, Part 1, Chapter 4, Article 3.5, Sections 21670 – 21679.5 of the California Public Utilities Code (PUC).
An ALUC has the following powers and duties, per PUC Section 21674:
- To assist local agencies in ensuring compatible land uses in the vicinity of all new airports and in the vicinity of existing airports to the extent that the land in the vicinity of those airports is not already devoted to incompatible uses.
- To coordinate planning at the state, regional, and local levels so as to provide for the orderly development of air transportation, while at the same time protecting the public health, safety, and welfare.
- To prepare and adopt an airport land use compatibility plan pursuant to Section 21675.
- To review the plans, regulations, and other actions of local agencies and airport operators pursuant to Section 21676.
- The powers of the commission shall in no way be construed to give the commission jurisdiction over the operation of any airport.
- In order to carry out its responsibilities, the commission may adopt rules and regulations consistent with this article. The plan is primarily concerned with land uses near the two public-use airports in the county:
- Buchanan Field Airport
- Byron Airport
ALUC Planning Review Fees Effective November 13, 2016
Initial review by ALUC staff - $500 deposit plus additional fees for time and materials.
Review by the Commission - $2,500 deposit plus additional fees for time and materials.
At the conclusion of review, any unused fees will be returned to the applicant.
- Board Order approved September 13, 2016 (PDF)
- Resolution 2016/529 (PDF)
- Letter to County Planning Directors (PDF)
Beginning January 2017, the Contra Costa ALUC will meet the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m.
Location: 30 Muir Road, ZA Room, floor 1, Martinez CA 94553
Agendas are available prior to the scheduled meetings.
Agenda Archive 2012-2017
If a meeting is in progress, there will be a link to live streaming at the top of the ALCU Meeting Videos page.
|Commissioner||Appointing Body||Term Expires|
|Vice-Mayor Ken Carlson, Pleasant Hill||County Mayor’s Conference (Contiguous city delegate)||May 2, 2022|
|Vice-Mayor Joel Bryant, Brentwood||County Mayor’s Conference (Non-contiguous city delegate)||May 6, 2024|
|vacant||Board of Supervisors|
|May 4, 2020|
|Ronald R. Reagan||Board of Supervisors|
|May 1, 2023|
|Geoff Logan, Chair||Director of Airports|
|May 1, 2023|
|Maurice E.P. Gunderson||Director of Airports|
|May 2, 2022|
|Thomas R. Weber||Appointed by balance of ALUC (General Public seat)||May 1, 2023|