Building Permit Forms and Information
As of April 1, 2022 building permit applications for new Residential, Retail, Office, or Hotel
buildings must include all-electric (no natural gas) design.
Learn more about the All-Electric Ordinance.
To apply for a Building Permit or obtain inquiries related to the permit process, you may obtain service:
- See the Applying for a Building or Grading Permit page for guidance
- The ePermits Center allows you to apply online for all building and grading permits, search Property/Permit information such as current projects and application status, pay permit fees, and schedule inspections online. View the Help Guides on the right side of the ePermits Center home page for navigation assistance.
- By Phone: Speak with our plan checkers on duty from 7:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday to Thursday, and 7:30 - 4:00 pm Friday.
- Schedule an Appointment: We offer appointments by phone, web meeting and in person to answer your questions and help you prepare for a successful permit submittal. Schedule an Appointment web page
Application Forms and Resources
Application Forms and Checklists
- Building and Grading Permit Application *All contractors must have an active business license with Contra Costa County if doing work in Unincorporated areas of the County. Visit the County Business License link for additional information on how to apply for a license.
- Building Permit Requirements Checklist - Residential (PDF)
- Building Permit Requirements Checklist - Commercial (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Plumbing Fixture Replacement (SB407) (PDF)
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recovery Program(CalGreen)
- Demolition Permit Requirement - PCBs Screening Assessment Form (PDF)
- Commercial Generator Checklist (PDF) - Required for all generator installations
- Residential Generator Checklist (PDF) - Required for all generator installations
- Permit Extension Request -Submit extension request prior to permit's expiration date
- Solar Photovoltaic System Checklist (PDF) - Required for all Residential or Commercial solar projects
- Residential Photovoltaic System Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Photovoltaic System Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Soils Investigation Report Questionnaire Form for Residential Additions (PDF)
Required Forms for Design Professionals, Owner-Builders and Owner Agents
Revisions for Permits in Plan Review or Issued Status
- For permits that were created through the ePermits Center using the “Construction not listed above” type (original permit submittal started with BISUB), revisions are to be submitted with the Permit Revision Request form.
- If your permit is of the Power Permit or Minor Permit type - which includes PV/Solar (permit number starts with BIPVC/BIPVR), residential generator (permit number starts with BIM), or residential electrical battery storage systems (permit starts with BIE), the revision/scope of changes shall be uploaded directly to the permit on the ePermits Center. To upload the file, log in, search for the permit number, click Record Info and click Attachments. Read our guide on how to upload attachments (PDF). See our Power Permits webpage for more information on Power Permit revisions.
- If time for your project is critical, please be sure to follow the following protocols for revisions:
- Revisions must be clearly described and clouded/bubbled on the required sheets for the revision.
- Revised plan sheets must not contain any previous County stamps.
- Your revision may require new review and approval from other agencies (Planning Depts.,Public Works, Fire, Sanitary Districts or EHS). If new review is required, please make sure the revised sheets contain these new stamps prior to submittal. Stamps from other agencies do have an expiration date, please contact the agency directly to determine those dates.
- Only upload the sheets that contain the revision.
- Revisions have the same review time as original submittals, please factor this time frame into your project.
- Do not schedule a final inspection if the project has a revision in review. Revised plans must be on site for the final review. Any project that is finaled prior to the revision’s issuance will be locked and the scope cannot be adjusted. A new permit will need to be issued if the revision’s scope is required for the finaled permit’s scope. Additional fees may apply.
- For revisions to permits that were created in person, through the retired Permits By Email method or by an assigned Plans Examiner:
- Please complete our Permit Revision Request form and attach your clouded/bubbled revised plans, a detailed description of the revision and the original approved field set of plans.
- If the original field set is lost or unavailable, please conduct a record research request to retrieve a copy of the original field set.
- If the research cannot find the original field set, the applicant will need to re-submit the original field set in full along with the revisions. Additional fees will be assessed and a new permit may be issued.
Expired Permit Renewals
ePermits Center Request Forms
- Request to Connect CSLB License to Contractor Account
- Request to Add ePermits Center User Account as a Contact to Existing Permit
- Request to Update Property Owner on Existing Building Permit
Required Title 24 Energy Compliance Forms for HVAC and Re Roof Permits
Download and complete one form per permit for each job site. The form is in PDF format, can be filled out electronically and saved. Submit the completed form by email. Make sure to indicate the permit number on your form.
- 2019-CF1R-ALT-02-E Energy Compliance form for Mechanical Permits PDF
- 2019-CF1R-ALT-01-E Compliance form Re-roof permits PDF
- Code Violation Complaint Form (PDF) - (Print and Submit)
- How To Guides
- Records Research Request (PDF)
- Permit Cancellation and Refunds
- Recognized Special Inspection & Testing Agencies (PDF)
- 2019 Residential & Non Residential CalGreen Mandatory Measures Checklist