Due to the Order issued by the County Health Officer on March 16, 2020, all offices of the Department of Conservation and Development are closed to the public until further notice.
We continue to process certain applications and permits, and to perform construction inspections for certain projects with active building permits, as consistent with the direction provided in the Health Officer’s Order. We are striving to continue to operate our other programs and services to the extent possible by working remotely, but please be patient with us given the extreme limitations this presents.
Please call (925) 674-7200 with questions, to schedule an inspection for an active building permit, or to discuss procedures for submitting new applications.
For additional information on our current operations please click here.
For updated information about COVID-19, please visit coronavirus.cchealth.org
To apply for a Building Permit or obtain inquiries related to the permit process, you may obtain service:
- In Person: Speak with our plan checkers on duty from 7:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday to Thursday, and 7:30 - 4:00 pm Friday. No appointment necessary, but recommended for large projects.
- By Phone: Speak with our plan checkers on duty from 7:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday to Thursday, and 7:30 - 4:00 pm Friday.
- Self-Help: Access to our ePermit Center allows you to search Property/Permit information such as current projects and application status. Paying for permit fees and scheduling inspections are available online.
New Permit Fees
Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors adopted new land development fees on December 17, 2019. The fees will be implemented on March 1, 2020.
Application Forms and Resources
- Building Permit Application (Fillable PDF) **All contractors must have an active business license with Contra Costa County if doing work in Unincorporated areas of the County. Visit the County Business License link for additional information on how to apply for a license.
- Building Permit Requirements Checklist - Residential (PDF)
- Building Permit Requirements Checklist - Commercial (PDF)
- Certificate of Compliance for Plumbing Fixture Replacement (SB407) (PDF)
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recovery Program (CalGreen)
- Code Violation Complaint Form - (Online)
- Code Violation Complaint Form (PDF) - (Print and Submit)
- Demolition Permit Requirement - PCBs Screening Assessment Form (PDF)
- Permit Extension Request - (Online)
- Residential Photovoltaic System Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Commercial Photovoltaic System Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Checklist for Residential Solar-long form (PDF) (PVR)
- Records Research Request (PDF)
- Soils Investigation Report Questionnaire Form for Residential Additions (PDF)
ePermit Center Forms
- Registration/User Agreement for Contractors (PDF)
- Registration/User Agreement for Owner-Builders (PDF)
- Online Application Section B (PDF) (required for each online permit submitted)
Required Forms for Owner / Builder Permit Applications
Forms below are required for submission prior to permit issuance
- Authorization of Agent to Act on Property Owner’s Behalf (PDF)
- Owner-Builder Acknowledgement and Verification of Information (PDF)
Required Title 24 Forms for HVAC and ReRoof Permits
Download and complete one form per permit based on the permit job site. The form is in PDF format, can be filled out electronically and saved. Submit the completed form by email or by fax to (925) 674-7244. Make sure to indicate the permit number on your form.
- Form CF1R-ALT-03-E for Climate Zone 3 - West Contra Costa County for HVAC permit (PDF)
- Form CF1R-ALT-04-E for Climate Zone 12 - All of Contra Costa except West County for HVAC permit (PDF)
- Form CF1R-ALT-05-E for Residential ReRoof projects (PDF)
- How To Guides
- Permit Cancellation and Refunds
- Recognized Special Inspection & Testing Agencies (PDF)
- 2016 Residential & Non Residential CalGreen Mandatory Measures Checklist