CCAS Mission Statement
Contra Costa County Animal Services Department is committed to protecting the health, safety and well-being of all people and animals in our community through enforcement of state and local laws, providing compassionate care for every animal regardless of its temperament or condition, and reducing the number of animals that enter our County shelters.
We will shelter homeless, abandoned and lost animals, work to keep and place animals in safe, caring homes, and provide education and services to enhance the lives of people, their animal companions, and to strengthen the human-animal bond.
How We Accomplish Our Mission
Contra Costa County Animal Services Department will accomplish our mission by:
- Protecting the citizens of Contra Costa County from animal related diseases and from animal injury.
- Preventing animal cruelty, abuse and neglect.
- Providing humane care and treatment of all animals in accordance with the Association of Shelter Veterinarians Guidelines and following the Five Freedoms.
- Striving to decrease our shelter intake, increase our live release rates and to reserve euthanasia for animals that have serious medical conditions with great suffering, or behavior issues that pose a threat to the public's health and safety and the animal's well-being.
- Keeping animals in their homes by providing resources and active counseling for owners looking to surrender their family companions.
- Increasing licensing and micro-chipping efforts to assist owners in reuniting with their lost pets.
- Providing spay/neuter services to reduce pet overpopulation.
- Educating the public about responsible pet ownership, including preventative medicine, spay/neuter, and vaccinations.
- Providing high-quality customer service and treating all individuals with respect, professional courtesy, and integrity.
- Creating collaborative partnerships that further our mission and increase our ability to serve the people and animals of Contra Costa County.