Contra Costa Animal Services provides low-cost spay/neuter surgeries by appointment. Below you will find information on requirements for surgery.
Spay/Neuter Surgery Requirements
- The Spay/Neuter Clinic offers low-cost surgeries to residents of Contra Costa County only. Proof of residency is required upon scheduling of appointment.
- All animals must have proof of, or receive, a current Rabies vaccination on the date of surgery. All unlicensed dogs will be required to purchase a County License.
- It is recommended that dogs have both a Bordetella and DHPP vaccination and cats have received a FVRCP vaccination prior to the surgery date.
- A nonrefundable deposit of $65 is required to be paid to reserve your surgery date.
- Only two animals per household can be scheduled at a time.
- No animals under six months old or more than five years old.
- No brachycephalic, cryptorchid (undecended testicles) animals (cats or dogs) or Doberman Pinchers. (*See list of common brachycephalic breeds below.)
- Females cannot be pregnant or in heat.
- Females must be less than 65lbs. Males cannot be more than 90lbs.
- Dogs must be under control, leashed or in carriers. Cats must be in secure carriers.
- Requests for appointments must be submitted online. Once you have been approved, you will be contacted for a potential appointment.
- Check in is by appointment at 8:30am-8:50am. Pick up will be scheduled by appointment from 3:30pm-4:00pm. If you are late to check in your appointment may be cancelled. If you are late to pick up your pet, there will be an additional charge.
- For the safety of our staff, if your pet is too aggressive for us to handle, we will not be able to provide spay/neuter services.
Animals Not Suitable for Surgery
- Brachycephalic dog and cat breeds (see below)
- Cryptorchid cats or dogs (animals who have undescended testicles)
- Doberman Pinchers
- Females who are pregnant or in heat
Common Brachycephalic Dog & Cat Breeds
This list is not all inclusive and approval is at CCAS’s discretion.
- American Bulldog
- Boston Terrier
- Brussels Griffon
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- English Bulldog
- French Bulldog
- Japanese Chin
- Lhasa apso
- Shih Tzu
- Persian Cats
Post Surgery Pain Medication
We can provide your pet with 3 days of post surgery pain management for $25, upon request. You must request and pay for the medication at the time you schedule your appointment. The medication will be sent home with your pet after surgery is completed.
Pick Up After Surgery
All Animals brought in for surgery must be picked up by 4:00pm.