I Found an Animal

If you’ve lost or found an animal, we’re here to help. Contra Costa Animal Services (CCAS) provides animal control and sheltering services to 18 of the 19 cities in Contra Costa County, excluding the city of Antioch, as well as the unincorporated areas of the county. For animals found in the city of Antioch, please contact Antioch Animal Services. Thank you for caring about the animals in our community!

I Lost My Pet!

If you have lost your pet, please complete a Lost Pet form and review resources to help you find your pet on our Lost My Pet page.

I found . . .

Always assume a stray animal is somebody’s lost pet and carefully check for a collar with ID tags and, if present, immediately call the number on the tags or collar. If the pet is wearing a Contra Costa County license tag, you may go to https://www.petdata.com/ and search for the tag number by entering it in the “Tag Search” field. If identified, it will provide the owner’s contact information, which you can use to contact the owner to let them know you’ve found their lost pet.  

 You can also take the animal to your local vet or shelter to be scanned for a microchip, which may be implanted under the skin. A microchip may lead you straight to an owner, or you can visit www.petmicrochiplookup.org to research a microchip number.  

It’s possible that this pet has a person or family who misses them and may have already filed a lost pet report. Check here every few days and put up signs in the area the pet was found, because an owner may be out looking for their pet, or they may be at work or out of town and not even know their pet is missing.